“For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind.” – 2 Timothy 1:7
Our community has been through a lot in the past week. Our lives have changed overnight from going about our typical days to “social distancing” and panic over preparedness. We have felt fear from seeing empty grocery store shelves and having activities and school canceled. But I pray that this fear will not define our decision-making. We are in this together, and we depend on each other. I know our faith and trust in God will remain strong.
We appreciate our community of supporters now more than ever before. Without your support, more than 100 children and young adults would be very vulnerable right now. Some of them would be living in shelters or be homeless, and others would not have their basic needs met and be unsure when they’d receive their next meal. Thank you for giving our kids a loving home during such an unstable time. Thanks to you they have nurturing parents, their own beds to sleep in and a safe home while school is out.
I want to ensure you that the safety of our children and our staff is the paramount goal at Boys and Girls Country. We have taken measures to follow the CDC and other (local) official guidelines to hopefully avoid cases of the virus on our campus or to curtail the spread if anyone tests positive. Temporarily, all visitors are restricted from coming to campus.
The volatility of the stock market and the slowdown in the oil industry will put a strain on the resources of our organization and community as a whole. We will continue our commitment to our mission and pray that the economic ramifications of the pandemic will not interrupt our service to the children of the Greater Houston area.
We are praying for your safety and well-being during this difficult and uncertain time. We hope that you will be able to join us in prayer.
- For those who are afflicted by the virus, that may receive the healing and help they need.
- That the spread of this virus will be halted.
- For the medical personnel, first responders and those who work tirelessly to contain the spread of the virus.
- For the safety of our cottage families and staff.
Here are some ways you can help and stay in touch:
- Share with us your prayer requests through this Facebook post or by sending us a Facebook message privately.
- Consider helping out with supplies for our kids by purchasing items on our BGC Amazon list. Please remember to choose “Boys and Girls Country of Houston” as the beneficiary of your Amazon purchases by logging into your account with Amazon Smile.
- You can always make a gift of any amount to help during this uncertain time. Click here to donate.
Thank you for your continued friendship. May God bless you and your families!